Wednesday, January 19, 2011

End Of Fight Club Week 1...

So here's me catching up on the first week....

Ervin and I started fight club on January 8th, 2011. Boy oh boy, were we in for a rude awaking. 

Ervin and I started boxing in December to better prepare ourselves for fight club. I thought I was going to puke after the first initial workout (not a Fight Club workout). I have never been tested that physically in my life. Sure, Ervin and I lift weights regularly and jog but, realistically speaking, nothing is like boxing. It certainly kicked the sh*t out of me. 

And then there was fight club. The winner of fight club (which is determined by dramatic body changes) will win a trip to watch  a pro fight.  

In the vane of the legendary band Spinal Tap, it's like turning your amp up to eleven. It's like ramping something up 200%. It's like a chicken running with it's head cut off and just running on and on and on.... It's like me failing to come up with a better simile so I go on and on and on....








For eight weeks, Ervin and I will eat, sleep, sh*t and train boxing. No ifs, ands or buts....we will come out as boxers. 

Our first week consisted of core...I truly learned the meaning of pain.

Plank / Photo By Chris Friesen


For starters, I don't think I've worked this hard in my life. Secondly, I've already dropped 2 pounds since starting. I stopped eating crap and have changed my diet significantly. 

During the first week of fight club my workout consisted of:

Three Fight Club Classes ( = major core intensity. Burn, burn, burn those abs)
Two Regular Classes
Two Road Work Runs (Yes, in - 20 to -30 weather)
Two Circuit Set Workout 

Early Morning Jog (-33 windchill) / Photo By Chris Friesen

Running through snow / Photo By Chris Friesen
My favourite part of week one was the body sparring. Having the ability to move around and throw/receive punches to the body simulates the act of fighting. Trying to recover after having the wind knocked out of you is a challenge. 

Ervin holding the heavy bag for me / Photo By Chris Friesen
Ervin punching my stomach / Photo By Chris Friesen

The most challenging part of week one was the pain conditioning. Harry employed a technique that Manny Pacquaio uses for working through the pain. 





It's helping me work through pain.


Harry demonstrates pain conditioning / Photo By Chris Friesen
One of our tough Fight Club Contenders / Photo By Chris Friesen



Welts from Ervin / Photo By Chris Friesen


End of day welts / Photo By Cathy Kuryk

As bad as it looks, it doesn't hurt that bad....

I will post some pictures from Fight Club in the next couple of days. Please check it out. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment